Monday, November 30, 2009

Old St Nick/ The Final Chapter


Today we finished our last day at St Marys. It seemed like only yesterday I was walking through the doors in sight of my first real teaching experience. I had a great time working with my group and of course working with the kids was a blast. I feel like I left St Marys with a better understanding of how my future will be. I learned so much from Mr. Yang and our lab assistance's. Just like anything else you need time to adjust and adapt to situations. Each week there was a new twist, if it was the certain theme we needed to focus on or even the game we had to teach. I felt like group did a great job of communicating and working together to get the job done. A few cues that I learned include, Be loud let your voice be heard. Change the environment or (environmental manipulation) so the kids are repeating the same motion or movement. You be the leader in the gym or on the field. You need to advocate what it is you want to change or focus on. As a group of 20 kids in our Mondays lab we each bring something different to the table which makes things great and interesting. It was great to work with others at St Marys as a team we accomplished a lot I think. We were able to virtually teach many different age groups. You needed to be a different teacher depending on the age group you were teaching. For Pre K you could not talk to 10 minutes on rules. You need to be quick, simple, and to the point. Many times during my trips to St Marys, kids would have questions for me and I was there to help them out even if was regarding how to kick a soccer ball or what a lap up looked like. I truly felt each kid improved from the first week we were their. It seemed like they all grew off of us. I thought it was a great idea to do themes each week. Though it was only an after school program it seemed the kids were much more willing to participate knowing that there would be a new game to go along with the theme. Props helped us get our lesson moving along and flow better and they were excited if we dressed up. Finally I am so thankful for being given the opportunity to go to St Marys and work I had a great time. I remember Mr. Yang saying if you ever experience yourself second thoughting PE or your ever bored at St Marys you should consider another major. I thought about that real hard and its true if your not happy why be near the kids? I never second thoughted myself I was always laughing and smiling and having a good time. I feel like I took a lot away from this experience and it will help me in the future as a Physical Educator.

No comments:

Post a Comment