Thursday, November 5, 2009

BO BO the Circus Clown


On Monday at St Marys we followed the theme of the circus. Evan, Tyler, Amy, and myself came with props such as wigs, hats, and face paint. I could tell the kids were very excited to engage in our activities. Ive noticed so far when you create these themes the students are much more involved and willing to learn. It was very similar to the super hero theme we did, a simple prop, a simple act of craziness gets the kids more excited, because they have no idea what they will be doing. Monday we taught a game called Fit, Fuel, Fun. A game that tackles many skill movement areas. We worked with throwing, running, and our sweaty sideline represented a "free locomotor" movement. We started by doing a simple warm up activity. Each student picks a partner and they work on throwing back and fourth. This is very important because it allows for each kid to practice the skill before they actual preform the task. Many classes here at Cortland teach progressions. You need to start slow and basic and use environmental manipulation to move to the next peg of the skill ladder. Fit Fuel Fun was a multi step game. On a personal level im still figuring out what games belong to specific age groups and skill levels. As a future professional it is imperative that I gain an understanding what what games should be played, at that specific level. Teaching Fit Fuel Fun I admit was a challenge because we needed to be 100% organized and 100% focus. Some children were looking away playing with friends while we were explaining directions. However we were taught cues such as, Project you voice so they would start to pay attention. We needed to be loud and clear because if your not you will loose them. I thought we did a good job of breaking down the activity into steps. The initial step was to practice throwing with a partner. Then after that step we explained what capture the flag is. I like to use this method when I teach at St Marys. After each explanation I like to choose 1 student to repeat what I said to make totally sure the group and the individual are on the same page, in regards to the rules, and safety concerns. Its important that you don't overload with info. So what I did was give a quick 1 minute explanation of what to do and as a group we went out and started to play. At times we would stop a student and show them what to do. We do this so we dont disrupt the game, so it will flow. Finally as I mentioned I'm still adapting what what these students skills are, and how to to tackle each game so it will not only be fun but successful for the student. Through different games you will start to pick up on age appropriate games. I truly feel this experinece at St Marys will help me so much because now I will know what games should be played and which games I should hold off on when I become a movement expert. Overall I believe the kids had a great time, however on my part I felt I could do things a little different for more success. Organization and explanation are two crucial aspects that I will grow and development when I become a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. Jeff-

    You have great ideas for making sure the students are paying attention and following your directions. You'll learn more about these in future classes (known as 'Check for Understanding') as you should include these multiple times in your lesson. But for you to recognize this on your own is great.

    As far as knowing what activities are suitable for the students skill levels, this is something even skilled teachers have trouble with sometimes. Teachers with years of experience often will try new activities that will fail because they are either too easy or too hard for their students developmental level. Great teachers are able to recognize this early and either modify the activity to meet their students skill level or move on to another activity, rather than continuing to waste time trying the activity that isnt working. Again, that is something you'll learn with experience.

    -Andrew

    ReplyDelete